Wednesday, August 8, 2007

From Locust to MTA

Well, it's eight more days until school starts...graduate school, that is. No more Locust Walk, no more Gia Pronto, no more four hour sorority meetings to make t-shirt color selections. Graduate school. My last chance to put off real life for just one more year, or so I thought. Really, The Journalism School is more of a stepping stone -- a trade school -- to grow into a professional reporter.

I can't even begin to imagine all of the exciting people whom I'll meet. In addition to the world renown journalists on the faculty, many of the other students are already reporters entrenched in the field, coming back to school for a master's degree. The average age in our class will be 28, and it may be a bit intimidating at first to hold my ground among people with so much experience. But luckily, the DP has given an amazing foundation, and I am grateful for all the instruction I received both there and during my summer position at NJBIZ newspaper.

This summer began an exciting new epoch in my life, and I can't wait to become part of such an electric and constantly changing field. Who knows what this year is going to bring.

So next Thursday, I'll grab that book-bag and PennCard Metrocard for one more year of school and training . . . even if that 1-train can never rival the age-old cobblestone of Locust Walk.

1 comment:

Leslie Chang said...

Love your blog Sharon!
Come see mine! www.xanga.com/canisixpaku